Family: Born September 29, 1926, in Weymouth, England; son of Reginald (a builder) and Dorothy (Northam) Bowyer; widowed; children: Katharin, Jeff, Lisa Janine. Education: Attended high school in Solihull and Nelson, England. Memberships: Royal Air Force Association (life member). Addresses: Home and Office: 77 Southern Reach, Mulbarton, Norwich NR14 8BU, England.
Royal Air Force, 1943-69, retired as sergeant; served as armament technician, airman, and instructor in explosives and armaments; stationed in Egypt, Libya, Palestine, Singapore, and Aden; writer, 1958--.
WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:
- The Flying Elephants, Macdonald & Co., 1972.
- Mosquito at War, Ian Allan, 1973.
- (Editor) Bomber Pilot, 1916-18, Ian Allan, 1974.
- (Editor) Fighter Pilot on the Western Front, William Kimber, 1975.
- Hurricane at War, Ian Allan, 1975.
- Airmen of World War I, Arms & Armour Press, 1975.
- Sunderland at War, Ian Allan, 1976.
- (Editor) Wings over the Somme, William Kimber, 1976.
- Beaufighter at War, Ian Allan, 1976.
- Hampden Special, Ian Allan, 1977.
- Path Finders at War, Ian Allan, 1977.
- Albert Ball, V.C., William Kimber, 1977.
- History of the R.A.F., Hamlyn, 1977.
- Sopwith Camel: King of Combat, Glasney Press, 1978.
- For Valour: The Air V.C.s, William Kimber, 1978.
- Guns in the Sky: The Air Gunners, Dent, 1979.
- Coastal Command at War, Ian Allan, 1979.
- Fighter Command, 1936-38, Dent, 1980.
- Spitfire: A Tribute, Arms & Armour Press, 1980.
- Bomber Group at War, Ian Allan, 1980.
- (Editor) Fall of an Eagle: Ernst Udet, William Kimber, 1980.
- Eugene Esmonde, V.C., D.S.O., William Kimber, 1981.
- Desert Air Force at War, Ian Allan, 1981.
- Age of the Biplane, Bison Books, 1981.
- Air War over Europe, 1939-45, William Kimber, 1981.
- Encyclopedia of British Military Aircraft, Arms & Armour, 1982.
- Wellington at War, Ian Allan, 1982.
- Bomber Barons, William Kimber, 1983.
- Images of Air War, 1939-45, Batsford, 1983.
- R.A.F. Handbook, 1939-45, Ian Allan, 1984.
- Bristol Blenheim, Ian Allan, 1984.
- Fighter Pilots of the R.A.F., 1939-45, William Kimber, 1984.
- Mosquito Squadrons of the R.A.F., Ian Allan, 1984.
- Men of the Desert Air Force, William Kimber, 1984.
- Gloster Meteor, Ian Allan, 1985.
- Men of Coastal Command, William Kimber, 1985.
- Bristol F2B: King of the Two-Seaters, Ian Allan, 1985.
- Tales from the Bombers, William Kimber, 1985.
- The Wellington Bomber, William Kimber, 1986.
- Beaufighter, William Kimber, 1987.
- RAF Operations, 1918-38, William Kimber, 1988.
- The Short Sunderland, Aston Publications, 1989.
- Handley Page Bombers of World War I, Aston Publications, 1990.
- (Editor) Enemy Coast Ahead, Bridge Books, 1995.
- (Editor) RFC Communiques, 1917-18, Grub Street, 1998.
- RAF Calshot, 1913-61, F. Smith, 1998.
- Fighter Pilot, Pen & Sword, 2001.
Author of booklets. Former editor, Journal of the Cross and Cockade Society.
Chaz Bowyer once told CA: "My motivation? Primarily to place on permanent record accurate accounts of men, deeds, and events connected with Royal Air Force history. This is exemplified (perhaps) by For Valour: The Air V.C.s which is now accepted as the standard reference work on the subject. I am tired of reading historical drivel as perpetrated by 'well-known' authors, most of whom are simply novelists or journalists with no background knowledge of genuine aviation history. Too many `military historians' are simply writers jumping on the history bandwagon only for profit."