"Kickbox Boot Camp" is a time-efficient, interval-style workout that yields great results. Cardio kickboxing drills and combinations improve aerobic endurance and burn calories. Athletic drills--incorporated as short bursts--challenge the body anaerobically. The finishing touch is a strength training segment that targets large muscle groups and improves muscular endurance. Many people complain about not having enough time to exercise; interval training is a great way to offer more bang for the buck.
Kickbox Boot Camp Details
FORMAT: Kickbox Interval
TOTAL TIME: 75 minutes
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: step platform and weighted bar for each participant
MUSIC: 136 beats per minute (bpm) for cardio kickboxing and drills; 130 bpm for the strength training segment
Warm-Up (5 minutes)
Use basic athletic movements to warm up participants. Elevate core temperature and increase dynamic range of motion with large arm movements and hip-opening exercises. Start with basic spinal stretches to release the low back; then perform the following exercises, alternating sides:
* Bend knees and hinge forward slightly at hips to lower your profile as you step side to side.
* Add large arm movements, reaching forward/back and up/down.
* As you bring feet together on step-touch, squat down low as though you were ducking a strike.
* Keep torso long and use legs to get low.
* Do wide toe taps with hands in guard or ready position.
* Rotate torso and bring elbow down and across body to opposite hip as though you were blocking a strike aimed for your midsection.
Bob and Weave
* Start with wide toe taps. As you shift your weight from side to side (weave), hinge forward at hips...
This is a preview. Get the full text through your school or public library.