Agriculture and Climate Change
According to a data analysis published in the journal Science in 2018, food production accounts for about 26 percent of all greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused by humans, with 82 percent of those emissions coming from livestock and fisheries, crop production, and agricultural land use. Supply chain operations such as processing, packaging, transportation, and retailing account for the remaining 18 percent. The scientific community widely believes that GHG emissions related to human activity are the root cause of climate change.
Economists warn that climate change stands to adversely affect global agricultural production due to changes in precipitation patterns, average temperatures, and land characteristics. In the effort to address climate change, scientists and policy makers seek to reduce agriculture-related emissions without...Read more